122 Rafał Śledzik-Kamiński
The north-eastern section of the Wrocław River Odra
bank was devoid of fortications. Hans Schneider von
Lindau stayed in Gdańsk and supervised the fortication
works there, whereas the implementation of his projects in
Wrocław was undertaken by Friedrich Gross who was the
city architect. In 1588, the buildings near the Holy Spirit
Church were pulled down and in this place Sand Bastion
was built, in the old Italian type with a high buttress and an
earth parapet of the embankment. Behind the orillons of
the bastion, casemated three-level anking gun emplace-
ment were located. The earthen parapet of Sand Bastion
was connected with the parapet of Ceglarski Bastion [14,
p. 126]. Also in 1588, the works on Bernardyński Bastion
began and they were completed in 1590, to the south of
Ceglarski Bastion. The bastion had a high buttress with
casemated anks protected by rectangular orillons [13,
p. 211].
On March 27, 1591, Schneider von Lindau signed
a contract with the Wrocław City Council. It oered him
a salary higher than the one he received in Gdańsk and the
council did not oppose his scientic trips around Europe
[2, p. 35], [12, p. 541]. The high salary and the urgent
need to extend the Wrocław city fortications prompted
the city council to limit the activities of Hans Schneider
von Lindau to investments made for the city only. Still in
1590, residential buildings were demolished for the con-
struction of a new rampart gate, i.e., Piaskowa. In 1592,
the works on its construction started and in 1593 the works
on the casemate part were completed. In 1594 a wood-
en bridge (the so-called Sand Bridge) was built over the
river, whereas in 1595 a stone façade was embedded in the
outer face of the gate.
Also in 1593, the works on Sakwowy Bastion were
started, an earthen and masonry work with highly devel-
oped and casemated ank gun emplacements which were
protected by long orillons. This bastion was a twin struc-
ture of Ceglarski Bastion. The relics of two bastions, i.e.,
Ceglarski and Sakwowy have survived to the present day.
In the place of Job’s Roundel Bastion, the construction
of a semi-bastion started in 1594. The constructing and
proling of the embankments were nished at Piaskowy
Bastion, where even The Holy Spirit Church was demol-
ished because it prevented the work from being carried
out. The ramparts of Sakwowy Bastion were completed in
1598 and the rampart Sakwowa gate was also built, which
was secured in terms of artillery by the right orillon of the
bastion. The northern and eastern sections of the town’s
defensive perimeter were nally secured in around 1600
[2, p. 36], [14, pp. 126, 127].
Hans Schneider von Lindau prolonged his contracts
with the city council of Wrocław. Initially, he focused on
the extension of Wrocław’s fortications, however, other
nobles in Silesia were also interested in his services. As
early as in 1584, General Starost of Silesia, bishop An-
dreas von Jerin addressed him, but then the fortication
builder had to refuse him. He remained in the service of
Gdańsk, whereas for Wrocław he consulted the projects
of fortications only. When he signed the contract with
Wrocław, he initially had to focus on urban projects. How-
ever, as the construction of the Wrocław fortications pro-
class family in the free town of Lindau situated on Lake
Constance in southern Bavaria on October 9, 1544 [11,
p. 33]. His rst documented work was the construction
of the English House in Gdańsk in the years 1568–1570,
where, as a construction manager, he collaborated with
Hans Kramer (died 1577), the then building master of
the Gdańsk city council. Their close professional rela-
tionships were sealed with the marriage of Schneider and
Kramer’s daughter [12, pp. 534, 535].
Hans Schneider von Lindau worked both in Pomera-
nia and in Silesia. In his Pomeranian period of activity,
in the years 1570–1580, he worked as a master builder of
the town council in Elbląg. In 1580, he was employed as
a city architect in Gdańsk and reconstructed the city for-
tications after the damage caused during the siege of the
city by Stefan Batory. It was him who in 1582 designed
new fortications of Wisłoujście Fortress in the type of
the carré fort (four-sided) after the war of 1577. The for-
tications were built on a rectangular plan because the
previously existing fortications (a lighthouse with de-
fensive objects) were included in the defensive perimeter.
The curtain acquired an angular form in this section. Four
bastions were built on the corners of the fort. The south-
ern bastion was the rst to be constructed (1586), then in
1587 the eastern bastion under which warehouses were
built under the curtain of the embankment. The northern
and western bastions received more massive faces. In the
northern bastion, cross vaults on pillars were built inside
it, which was more advantageous for its fortress and stor-
age purposes. Originally, the entrance opening to the fort
(situated on the land side) was to be protected by the bas-
tion’s orillon. Changes in the design, however, deprived
it of this protection, but it was still within the range of its
anking batteries [2, pp. 39–41].
On March 18, 1584, the Wrocław City Council asked
Hans Schneider von Lindau, who was in the service of
Gdańsk, to take the position of the city architect. Being
bound by the contract, he could not agree to this proposal,
nevertheless, he accepted the commission to design spe-
cic defense objects.
The rst work in Wrocław, whose nal stages of con-
struction might have been consulted with Hans Schneider
von Lindau, was the Imperial Bastion (next to the impe-
rial castle), which was built in the years 1577–1584 [13,
pp. 211, 212]. Ceglarski Roundel Bastion, which was situ-
ated within the fortications of Wrocław, was demolished
on February 12, 1585, and in its place Ceglarski Bastion
designed by Hans Schneider von Lindau was built. On
May 9, 1586, the cornerstone for the construction of Ce-
glarski Bastion was laid. Already in 1587, the bastion was
completed. It was a corner earthwork layout with a stone
pre-rampart and two-level casemates. Behind the orillons
of the bastion there were gun emplacements [2, p. 33, 34].
The conrmed presence of Hans Schneider von Lindau
in Wrocław dates back to 1587, when General Starost of
Silesia, bishop Andreas von Jerin in his letter of July 22,
1587, asked Wrocław councilor Simon von Hanniwaldt
to contact him as regards the possibility of temporary em-
ployment of the fortication builder who erected new The
River Oder bastion fortications on [14, p. 125].