
Details’wandering–transformationsofarchitecturaldetailsandsgraffitoofGrodnoCastleinZagórzeŚląskie 65
1870 and from 1903, then after 1945 and in the 1980s
1
, as
well as in 2015), but also within amateur repairs.
The material analysed in the article consists of sixteen
modern portals, which changed their location over the
course of 200 years, underwent modications and more or
less professional restoration procedures (Fig. 1).
Main portal of the gatehouse
The entrance gate is closed with a full arch in the portal
frame (Fig. 1A). Above it, there is a pediment resting on
entablature with a triglyph frieze with a tympanum and
a rococo Zeidlitz cartouche with the inscription Fortiter
etdeliter. The portal’s composition is complemented by
a sgrato decoration – a ferrule ornament around it with
“roaring” heraldic lions as holders. It was built together
with the gatehouse during the expansion of the castle in
1570 and was restored by Noellner between 1903 and
1904 [6, p. 19]. August Zemplin wrote in 1826 that the
gatehouse was covered with a gable roof similar to the city
gates. The renovated building housed Büsching’s sum-
mer apartment [2, pp. 13, 14]. One hundred years later,
in 1927, Viktor Schaetzke described the exact appearance
of the gate and portal, mentioning that the upper part of
the full arch of the gate is closed by a beautiful, forged
grate from 1565. He mentioned that in the superstructure
there is the Zedlitz family’s coat of arms, borrowed from
an old tombstone and the maxim Fortiteretdeliter. He
also noted that the sgrato decoration dating back to the
best Silesian Renaissance around 1570 and diering from
the popular ones with the extraordinary richness of mo-
tifs, delicate lines and vivid multi-coloured polychrome
catches the eye most. A very important piece of informa-
tion given in the description is that during the analyses
it turned out that, contrary to previous assumptions, the
plaster does not consist of two dierently coloured lay-
ers. Rather, there was one layer of lime plaster, with an
undercoat 1 cm deep. As Robert Weber pointed out, the
relief with its very delicate lines delighted visitors even
before 1910 [8, p. 28]. Later, after the restoration works
were carried out, it was completely painted, with the back-
ground of the frames in dark blue and red, and the car-
touche in grey and leather colour, and the remaining ele-
ments yellow, red, and green, respectively. The restoration
carried out by Noellner [4, pp. 304–306] was consulted
by Bodo Ebhardt, an outstanding conservator and creator
of historical architecture [9, p. 205]. The present condi-
tion of the sgrato surrounding the portal is the result of
subsequent restoration works from 2015
2
. Based on the
archival photographic documentation and contemporary
eld research, numerous dierences can be noticed in the
1
Architectural inventory of the castle with documentation of in-
dividual portals comes from 1985. The documentation was prepared
by the District Geodetic and Cartographic Enterprise in Wrocław. The
material was developed by G. Frankiewicz and E. Dzierżyńska [7].
2
In 2015, conservation and restoration works were carried out in
the gatehouse of Grodno Castle (sgrato). The works were nanced
by the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage. Program: Cultural
Heritage, Priority 1. Protection of Monuments.
the works making the castle available to visitors, and
transformed the room above the gate into a “historic-style
living room” with coats of arms in the windows made of
coloured glass. In 1855, after the count’s death, the castle
passed into the hands of his wife and then his second son
– Max Ferdinand, baron von ZedlitzNeukirch. He made
a family crypt out of two cellars, the opening of which
took place on November 22, 1868. At that time, the dress-
ings of the windows and gates were restored [1, p. 64].
The next stage of restoration and construction works was
carried out in the period between 1903 and 1907. At that
time, the sgrato decoration on the gatehouse was ren-
ovated. It was conducted by architect and painter Emil
Noellner from Wrocław. In addition, the round tower in
the north-eastern corner was raised [4, p. 306, 308]. After
World War II, the care of the monument was entrusted to
the Wałbrzych branch of the Polish Tatra Society (PTT),
which started its activity in the castle in 1947. The castle
was not damaged during the war and was prepared for
tourist purposes. The achievements of PTT were tak-
en over in 1950 by the newly established Polish Tour-
ist and Sightseeing Society (PTTK). Between 1951 and
1952, it carried out works securing the crown of the walls
of the upper castle, and between 1957 and 1958 a re-
proof ceiling was installed over the 1
st
oor of this part
of the building [5, p. 13]. In 1957, Jerzy Rozpędowski
published his master’s thesis, which was an architectural
design preceded by a historical and conservation study.
It contained conservation conclusions for Grodno
Castle.
The conclusions developed in the form of postulates
were to serve as guidelines for the design of repurposing
the castle into a museum and PTTK chalet. The author’s
main postulate was that the complex should retain its
characteristic silhouette, resulting from the coexistence of
layers of dierent style eras, creating a plastic whole [6,
p. 25]. During the functioning of the chalet and museum
in the castle, run by the Polish Tourist and Sightseeing So-
ciety, numerous repairs and renovations were carried out
using do-it-yourself methods. In 1985 it was important
to prepare the inventory documentation of the castle part
and individual portals as part of the general renovation of
the castle, which took place between 1984 and 1985 [5,
p. 14].
Analysis of modern portals
In Grodno Castle, within the buildings and ruins of
the upper and lower castle that have survived to this day,
a large complex of portals and window dressings made
during one of the construction stages around 1568–1587
have survived. Made of cream, yellow and red sandstone,
they consist of both historical fragments, also with pre-
served traces of polychrome, as well as fragments re-mod-
elled in the fashion of the original ones. The original
fragments bear numerous traces of mechanical damage,
but also, for example, of sandstone burnout during a re.
Their supplements (plugs, putty, stucco work, and partial
or complete replacement of portal elements) were carried
out in several stages of the restoration works undertaken
here (between 1823 and 1829, between approx. 1855 and