Civil engineering and building technic

Research method in recognizing the causes and level of destruction of the roof construction in the neo-Gothic 19th century St. Martin’s Church in Krzeszowice designed by Karol Fryderyk Schinkel

Małgorzata Mełges, Hubert Mełges

Abstract

The St. Martin’s neo-Gothic parish church in Krzeszowice (Little Poland Province) has been preserved in an unchanged condition until today. The church was built thanks to the artistic patronage of Count Potocki – the owner of Krzeszowice holdings who decided to build the church and very carefully selected the best design conception. The first drafts of the design of the church were made by two excellent Parisian architects Percier and Fonteine. The final design, however, which was the basis for building the church was made by a famous architect from Berlin Karl Schinkel. In 1832, the design was approved and the construction of the church without its interiors was completed in 1844. It was another architect from Berlin and his student Wilhelm Hofbauer who was the direct builder and executed Schinkel’s vision. The works, including the furnishing of the interiors, were completed in 1872. Over the period of about 140 years the church has been used without any problems despite the fact that since its erection the number of people living in Krzeszowice has grown a few times. The church is on the permanent conservation list. It was built with the use of stones and bricks as a single-nave church on the layout of a Latin cross closed with a polygonal chancel. The front facade, pedestals, the rose window above the entrance, cornices, window frames, traceries and some details of interior decoration were built of stone (sandstone) and they demonstrate excellent workmanship.

The external walls were built of bricks with characteristic buttresses and two towers with octangular spires and a decorative viewing terrace between them.

Full article view is only available on bigger screens.