
The role and inuence of pauline architecture on non-architects 9
which was connected with a monastery from the north-
ern side. The church was connected with a house-chapel,
the so called choir where night psalmodies were sung
[5, pp. 11–17, 51]. Utility buildings adjoined the monas-
tery or they were situated within a short distance from it.
The third period took place in the 15
th
and 16
th
centuries
and it is called ‘golden period of the monastery develop-
ment’. During this period there were new foundations and
the monasteries that were taken over from other orders
were rebuilt. Therefore, the Paulines became a signicant
part of the social life. The monastery complex still con-
sisted of a church, order building and utility buildings.
Gradually it became a place of pilgrimages in which huge
numbers of pilgrims participated as well as church and
state ofcials. This situation brought about a necessity to
introduce new functions and develop the next monastery
complexes.
Buildings of Jasna Góra were rebuilt and modernised.
The oldest fragment, which comes from the foundation
times, is the Gothic chapel presbytery where there is the
picture of Black Madonna of Częstochowa. After the re
in 1690 on the place of the old Gothic chapel, which was
built in the years 1430–1463, the present basilica was
built. Other foundations of Prince Władysław Opolczyk
were cloisters in Mochów near Głogówek and in Wieluń.
The next foundation by Bernard Wierusz took place in
1401 and referred to the cloister in Wieruszów. In 1421
the Cracow bishop Wojciech Jastrzębiec brought Pauline
Fathers to Beszowa and gave them a parish. The bishop
W. Jastrzębiec foundation of the Pauline monastery was
the fth one in Poland. In Beszowa Paulines also ran
the parish school and hospital for the poor [2, p. 468]. It
should be emphasized that so far Paulines had no pastoral
duties. The bishop Jastrzębiec imposed on Paulines a new
Fig. 3. Wlodawa,
St. Ludwig church
Photo by A. Białkiewicz
In spite of the fact that generally architects are respon-
sible for their works of art, the Pauline architecture in
Poland depended to a large extent also on a founder and
investor. The rst Pauline monastery in Poland was Ja-
sna Góra Monastery. In 1393 Jasna Góra became a royal
foundation. Under the inuence of Queen Jadwiga, king
Władysław Jagiełło legalized prince Władysław Opol-
czyk foundation. In Jasna Góra Monastery soon a sort of
evolution took place, i.e. the way of life changed from
the almost hermit one to the kind of life which made
Pauline Fathers involve in social issues. The reason for
this situation was a great number of pilgrims coming to
Jasna Góra. The Paulines built a drug store for pilgrims. It
had its own laboratory and medical library, hospital, pil-
grim house and printing house. In the years 1620–1631
J. Zywerth the builder started to built a fortress. A mas-
ter builder I. Neigebauer and a general and engineer Ch.
Dahlke who was sent by Great Hetman of the Crown Po-
tocki in 1745, managed the development of the fortress.
model of monastery buildings which – after the original
church was pulled down – stood in some distance from
the great basilica. According to the documentation, one
part of the monastery was situated above the right nave of
the church and the basic monastery was built as a sepa-
rate two-storey structure connected with the church by
means of an over-ground porch [5, p. 61]. Since the time
of this foundation, a quite expressive model of the Pau-
line architecture was established, which was later copied.
As examples, we can mention the monasteries in Brdów,
Pińczów, Cracow, Włodawa, St. Barbara Monastery in
Częstochowa and many others.
Thanks to the activities of superior generals, provin-
cials and priors, the Pauline order was in the impinge-
ment reach of the most remarkable Polish and European
architects and artists. An outstanding example of such an
activity is Father Andrzej Gołdonowski (1596–1660) who
performed the role of a provincial in the years 1641–1644.
He contributed to the erection of many new churches,